Truck drivers spend a lot of time on the road, sitting behind the wheels of their rigs. Sitting for extended periods in semi-truck seats slows down our metabolism and makes it harder for the body to burn calories and fat. Boosting your metabolism requires exercising while on the road. There are several simple exercises you can do without any fitness equipment whatsoever. Plus, you do not need a national fitness membership to fit in your workouts.
- Sit-Ups/Push-Ups – Utilize various exterior areas to do sit-ups and push-ups, like walking trails at rest stops and the pushing up off the front bumper of your truck.
- Walk/Jog – Use the parking lot at truck stops, rest areas or at deliveries. If you are done for the day or are waiting for your truck to be unloaded or loaded, take a few laps around the parking lot.
- Abdominal Crunches – Squeeze your abdominal (stomach) muscles together and tighten them as far as you can. Hold them in this position for as long as possible and repeat. This exercise is a great way to pass the time while driving down the road.
- Hand and Wrist Stretches – Every so often, rotate your wrists in full circles, going in clockwise and counterclockwise directions, and flex and stretch your fingers to help keep them limber.
- Shoulder Rotations – Rotate the shoulders slowly in a circular motion. As you tighten up the back muscles, hold this position for about ten seconds, release, and repeat. This exercise is great for releasing tension and helps strengthen the upper back, neck, and shoulder muscles groups.
The key to exercising while on the road is doing what works for you and sticking with it. It is important to spend at least a full fifteen minutes of continuous exercise each day to help burn calories and fat. Exercising can improve your energy levels, as well as your overall health and well-being.
To make sure you are comfortable while driving, you need a comfortable quality seat, like the replacement seats available here at Suburban Seating & Safety. For assistance in selecting a seat or other items, call us at (844) SAS.SEAT (844-727-7328) today!