A life on the road can get expensive. Meals, fuel, and incidental expenses can quickly eat into truckers’ budgets, leaving them with smaller profits from their long hours on the road.
The good news is that, with a little careful planning and the right equipment and truck interior accessories, truckers can greatly reduce their costs on the road. Here are a few tips from seasoned truckers that can help you run a more financially successful enterprise:
- Cut food costs – Stopping at restaurants or picking up fast food along the way can quickly add up to big costs. Many truckers spend $10,000 or more per year on restaurant food. Truckers can avoid big food costs with a little preparation and smart shopping. When preparing for a route, pack snacks and food you’ve purchased from a grocery store. Grocery store food is usually much less expensive than food purchased from a truck stop or convenience store.
- Reduce entertainment costs – Instead of purchasing a DVD player and purchasing movie after movie, reduce your costs by purchasing wireless internet service and streaming movies online. There are many free movies available online, or you can subscribe to a streaming service like Netflix or Amazon Prime to gain access to a huge library of films that you can watch on a tablet, a laptop, or even your phone.
- Outfit your truck before a trip – Buy all the gear you need online or at stores before your trip. You’ll likely find lower prices for traveling gear there, than at truck stops where price-gougers may have you at their mercy.
- Rewards cards – If you do have regular truck stops and restaurants that you shop at, take advantage of any rewards programs that they may offer. The programs are usually free and can save frequent shoppers considerable sums of money. Some rewards programs even let you access their benefits using your smartphone.
- Invest in ergonomics – Uncomfortable truck seats will eventually result in expensive trips to the doctor’s office. Make sure you can sit comfortably by investing in ergonomically designed truck seats and accessories made to improve posture.
Suburban Seating & Safety creates custom truck seats for the trucking industry and also sells a variety of truck accessories. For comfortable seating that can help ensure proper back support and comfort, check out Suburban Seating & Safety.