Truck drivers spend most of their waking hours driving or tending to other tasks, meaning they essentially live in their truck. There are many trucking essentials that can improve your comfort and safety, including these top semi-truck driver accessories and must-haves.
Emergency and Safety Essentials
- Emergency Kit: Should include a flashlight, batteries, non-perishable foods, bottled water, and a first aid kit, as well as jumper cables, emergency flares, and hand tools.
- Backup Camera: Truck drivers need back-up and mirror-mounted cameras to see around them.
- Safety Apparel: As important as trucker comfort is, you want to consider safety items such as boots, a hard hat, safety glasses, coveralls, and a high-visibility jacket or vest.
- Toolbox: You need screwdrivers, wrenches, tie down straps, a pocket knife, pliers, duct tape, tire pressure gauge, and other tools for basic repairs.
- Cold Weather Equipment: It is beneficial to have a RoadWatch sensor to monitor road conditions in cold weather. You should also have a snow shovel, a thermal blanket, and tire chains.
- Personal Hygiene Items: A toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, deodorant, and a comb will ensure you have what you need to stay clean and fresh.
- Bathroom Items: You never know when you will need to use the restroom. So, having toilet paper, wipes, and a portable toilet is vital.
- Shower Flip-Flops: Fungal infections can be common in shared trucker showers, and you need to protect your feet.
- Clean, Comfortable Clothing: You will want plenty of clean clothing until you can do laundry, including jackets, windbreakers, and raincoats to be ready for any weather changes.
- Gloves and Waterproof Boots: You should have a decent pair of gloves to protect your hands from injury and cold weather. Waterproof boots are crucial to keeping your feet dry in wet weather conditions.
Truck Driving Essentials
- Comfortable Truck Seats: You will be sitting for long periods, so ensuring your seat cushion and truck seat provide maximum comfort is vital. There are custom seats you can get with heating, cooling, and massage features.
- Smartphone Holder: If you use the GPS on your phone, you need a dash mount so it is easy to see.
- Cell Phone Cords and Chargers: You should have at least two cell phone cords and portable cell phone chargers.
- GPS: If you do not want to use your smartphone’s GPS, you need a stand-alone GPS mounted to your dash.
- Electronic Logbook: You need an ELD to report your driving and off-duty hours.
- Dash Cam: A dashcam can come in handy in case of an accident. It also can be used as a security device when you are not in your cab, in case someone breaks into your truck.
- Atlas or Map: If your cell phone battery dies or the navigation system fails, at least you’ll have a backup for reference, so you can get to your destination safely and on time.
Cab Comfort Essentials
- Comfortable Truck Mattress and Bedding: You will want to be able to get restful sleep so you can be wide awake and alert when driving.
- Laptop Stand: A laptop stand makes it easier to use your laptop or tablet, whether you are streaming videos, playing games, or catching up on emails.
- Storage Containers/Hooks: You will want to keep your cab neat and organized. So, you want storage containers and hooks to make organization easier.
- Cleaning and Laundry Supplies: After many hours on the road, your truck can get dirty. Bring along air freshening spray, a handheld vacuum, an all-purpose cleaner, disinfectant wipes, and paper towels. You should also have laundry detergent, bleach, and fabric softener to do your laundry.
Cooking and Food Essentials
- Minifridge: Keep perishable food, beverages, and other items at safe temperatures. Some models also include a freezer.
- Cooler: A cooler can be beneficial for beverages when you want to free up space inside your minifridge.
- Non-Perishable Food and Snacks: Stock up on your favorites for quick meals and snacks.
- Bottled Water: Ensure you have a few cases of bottled water available for drinking, cleaning up, or cooking.
- Cooking Appliances: A microwave and an all-in-one pressure cooker/slow cooker are perfect for preparing freshly cooked meals in your cab.
- Hand Weights/Barbells: You should have a set of hand weights or barbells for exercising.
- Workout Clothing: You will want a few sets of working clothing for walking, jogging, and weight training.
- Vitamins and Supplements: To ensure you get plenty of nutrients, you should take vitamins and supplements.
Order Truck Driver Essentials Today
It is easy to find the truck driver essentials and accessories you need for your truck at Suburban Seating & Safety. Browse our online store or contact us at 844-727-7328 today.