Truck drivers have to deal with a lot of different conditions, but the heat of summer is probably the hardest. Getting too hot can make you uncomfortable, sweaty, and drowsy, and make it more difficult to concentrate and drive safely.
If you and your rig are looking to beat the heat this summer, here are some things you should try.
Perform the Right Maintenance
- Check your AC – A properly functioning air conditioning unit is essential for long summer drives. Make sure you look at your antifreeze levels, condenser fins, and drive belt and keep everything in working order.
- Adjust your tires – There’s nothing worse than having to spend time out in the sun dealing with a blown tire. Check your treads and lower the pressure slightly to account for the warm air expanding.
- Make sure your truck’s ready – The heat will cause problems with other parts of your truck apart from the tires, including fluid levels, belts, electronics, and batteries. Check them frequently to avoid a long, hot breakdown.
Keep Yourself Cool
- Stay hydrated – Dehydration will only worsen the effects of heat. Drink plenty of water and keep some in the cab with you at all times. Try not to drink too much coffee, as it’ll only make you thirstier.
- Rest often – As you’d already know, long periods of concentration take a lot of energy. As you use that energy and your heart rate goes up, your body heat will rise too. Lower the stress on your body by taking breaks as often as you can.
- Keep out of the sun – You’ll feel the heat from sunburn long after it’s happened, so make sure you cover up your arms with long sleeves or sunblock.
Get the Right Accessories
Having the right accessories can make all the difference to a long-haul trip. Comfortable truck bedding is a good start, and a 12-volt drink cooler to have in your cabin can make a big difference.
One of the best ways of all to stay cool is to invest in a high-quality cooling truck seat. Prioritizing comfort, support, and climate control over anything else, these AC truck replacement seats can make a long, hot drive feel like a cool breeze.
At Suburban Seating & Safety, we’re always looking out for your comfort. From Boston Wide Ride + Serta Truck Seats to National Admiral auto replacement seats, we’ve got everything you need to ride out every season. Start shopping or contact us now on 844-727-7328 for the finest custom truck seats on the road.