Having the right seating is important, especially for operators of trucks and heavy equipment on construction sites and in other rugged environments. In off-road conditions, seats designed for the highway are simply not adequate. A more heavy-duty seat design with high-grade materials and improved support, and that absorb shock and vibration, will keep your fleet operators protected from fatigue, strain, and injury.
When purchasing off-highway truck seats or another piece of heavy equipment for your fleet, keep these tips in mind to make sure you get the right seat:
- Make sure it’s an actual off-highway seat – Some seats that are better suited for the highway are marketed as off-highway. Make sure the seat that you’re considering spending your hard-earned money on is specially designed for the application.
- Find out what kind of suspension system it has – Off-highway seats typically have air or mechanical suspension. Each type of suspension seat has its advantages and disadvantages. Mechanical suspensions smooth the ride using coil springs and energy-dampening shock absorbers, while pneumatic suspensions use air springs (in active suspensions, hydraulics help reduce vibration).
- Make sure it has plenty of lower back support – Lumbar support is important in any truck seat, but it’s especially important in off-highway seats. Talk to a sales rep and make sure that the seat you’re considering will help mitigate the impacts of off-road bumps and jolts. Some models have air lumbar support that’s infinitely adjustable, while many have adjustable tilt, height, and cushions to adapt to each driver’s needs.
- Assess all integrated technologies – Body temperature plays a role in the well-being of fleet truck operators. The cab can warm up quickly. Some products combat this by incorporating advanced fabrics into seat cushions and backrests, engineered to draw away perspiration. There are even some models that incorporate small fans that circulate air through the foam and seat cover.
- Read product reviews – Before purchasing any seat, be sure to Google it and read any relevant product reviews. Learning what other people have to say about a product will help you determine whether it’s right for your fleet. There is such a wide range of off-highway truck seats, available features, and options that choosing the best one can be overwhelming. It helps to start by looking at products most suited for the vehicle.
- Talk to other truckers, vehicle operators, and fleet owners – There’s no experience like real-world, on-the-job experience. Find out what other folks in the business are doing to learn about seating options best suited for your off-road applications. Collecting honest opinions can help narrow down your choice of seat type, brand, and supportive features and options.
- Make Sure It Is Designed for Operator Safety – See to it that the seat meets ISO and SAE International standards. If so, this means the product’s design has been rigorously tested in environments like those it will be used in. You can therefore be more certain it will perform as expected in off-highway situations and reduce the risk of operator injury and fatigue.
Importance of Finding the Right Off-Highway Truck Seats
By exercising due diligence, you can find the seats best suited for your fleet. Good seats can go a long way toward reducing the risk of health problems, such as low back pain, that many truckers and vehicle operators develop over their careers. You can therefore achieve fewer sick days, reduce workers’ compensation claims, and increase productivity just by providing your drivers with high-quality truck seats.
When it comes to truck seating, every operator has their own requirements. Adjustability is essential in the off-highway market. The more adjustable features a seat has, the better. In addition to lumbar support, look for adjustable backrests, height and slope, and fore/aft positioning. Check all available options to ensure each seat includes the functionality needed to provide the most value.
Order Off-Highway Truck Seats Today
Suburban Seating & Safety carries a wide range of semi truck seats, including custom truck seats, off-road seats, and high-quality air seats. To find the product that best suits your needs, browse our vast inventory of leading-brand seats. You can request your quote online, via each product page and select the custom options you need. Standard products can be purchased directly from our secure shopping cart.
If you need assistance or want to learn more about what Suburban Seating & Safety offers, give us a call at 844-727-7328.